28/06/2010

Sunday Brunch at Pequeña

In Brooklyn, weekend brunch options are in no short supply. Being a poor and hungry man, one must choose carefully when deciding to brunch out. What's worth the long wait, and the teeny bit of coin in my pocket? Where will I receive a most memorable meal, made with love and good vibes, in an atmosphere I could float around in all day? Pequeña - for brunch, lunch, or dinner - is always up there in the top of the list for me. This tiny nook in the heart of Fort Greene is an old friend. Consistent, delicious, fresh, and good vibey. Tops.


I started things off with a café con leche. So simple and so nice. Heaps of frothy milk in a rich and smooth espresso base. Truly delicious and soul-soothing.

Amey ordered the coconut margarita special. I sampled this, and it was fantastic. Pequeña knows how to make a margarita. Their straight margs are some of my favorite in the whole city. More on that in another post.

Pequeña offers a few signature brunch dishes that are made in a cast iron pan, and served up in this nice ceramic boat. This one is my jam. Totally simple concept, executed marvelously. A hefty portion of golden plantains serve as the base of this dish, cooked to perfection. Refried frijoles negros top the plantains, with two fried eggs sealing the deal. Garnish with freshly diced tomatoes and cilantro, serve some warm corn tortillas on the side, and there you have it. A serious boat of awesome.

This brunch made me a very happy dude. The balance of the sweet plantains, the savory eggs and black beans, and the zesty cilantro was muy delicioso.

Pequeña. It's pure 100% Awesomegeddon.

2 comments: