05/06/2010

Arancini @ Jason's

Photobucket

I love this little log.

It's an Arancini (compact rice, breaded and fried) from Jason's on North Street, Brighton and in the last week alone I must have eaten as many of these as there are humorous ways to end this sentence.

Photobucket

There are a bunch of ways Arancini can be made. Traditionally, the Sicilians make theirs in perfect spheres with a tomato filling. Rick Stein (henceforth to be known as RicSte) prefers his to be tiny-wee and flavoured with peas and ham.

But at Jason's, they opt for the far more satisfying "dense bar" shape, and add only pine nuts and cheese to the rich, crumbly, moist rice within. I asked Jason what specific cheese he used, but he wouldn't tell me. I asked him again, and he said he didn't know, and that they are made by his wife. When I asked if I could speak to his wife, he got all huffy and started pretending I wasn't there, so I left.

None the less, there is cheese in the mix, and if I was forced to guess, I'd say it was either Feta or possibly a softer-than-average Parmesan. Whatever it is, it sets my soul aflame, it truly does. Just look at the deep glowing calm that comes over you when you bite into it!

Photobucket

It's intense! But also comforting in a way that's difficult to put into words. Perhaps the word "cuddlesnackyum" should be introduced to the public lexicon; eventually added to the dictionary, then finally to spellcheck, so that I can type it here without error in order to accurately convey my meaning.

I will at some point attempt to make my own Arancini at home, and will document it thoroughly here on Dinnergeddon. I think I will imitate RicSte and use peas, but may stop short of ham. IT'S LITERALLY "MY CHOICE". So look out for that, anyway.

Oh, and as a side note, check out the drink I chose to accompany my lunch...

Photobucket

Snapple "Kuddling Kiwi Strawberry". This pretty much speaks for itself I think, although I would like to draw your attention to the small print at the top of the label: "Made with the best stuff on earth™."

Yes, that's right. Snapple have apparently trademarked The Earth. I guess you have to protect your investment. Try not to mess up Snapple's planet when you're going about your business today!

No comments:

Post a Comment