08/06/2010

Midnight - or any time - at the Oasis

NEW YORK

I'm not going to beat around the bush on this one. Oasis is king. See the way that sign just glows? It's a shining beacon, directing all the weary sailors, gypsies, wanderers, and starving artists through its doors.
Oasis has been making what is arguably the city's best falafel for much of the past decade. I had my first religious Oasis experience sometime around 2005, and I've been back a zillion times. Not only do they produce some of the most delicious food available, they also produce the most consistent food available. I've never been here on an "off" day. Not once. It's like an old friend. The owners are true experts and artists. I've been ordering my falafels and shawarmas from the same 3 or 4 dudes since I first came here years ago. And there's always some entertaining contemporary middle eastern music videos playing on the TV. Living in a city that is always changing and perfecting things, always tearing down and building new, it's so comforting to come to this place. This hallowed spot, it's food, and it's staff need no perfecting. It's a pitch perfect experience every time.

You know what they say: "Location, Location, Location." Oasis is located literally steps from the Bedford Avenue L Train stop in the central Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn. I eat Oasis for dinner on the way home. I eat Oasis at 3 or 4am after a long night at the bar. I even eat Oasis for breakfast sometimes. I would bet that 75% of my blood carries traces of garlic, chick peas, and tahini.
The standard falafel sandwich costs a mere $3. Add hummus to it for 50 cents. This price hasn't changed since I first came here in 2005. If I have the coin, I'll usually go for the hummus addition. It adds even more flavors and textures to this already perfect package. I order my sandwich with the works, leaving the hot sauce on the side, so I can spice up each bite as I take it.

There she is. Get in my belly!!!

Let's dissect this puppy.
They start with a fresh pita bread, not too soft and flimsy like a lot of the store-bought pita bread can be. It's the vessel which will be stuffed to the gills with awesome tastes. It's gotta be delicious, and it's gotta be strong. Then they coat the insides of the pita with a generous share of homemade hummus. Best hummus I've had in NYC, and they sell it by the tub. So smooth, garlicky, creamy. Add the homemade falafel balls. This is where they really get it right. Falafel is the "meat" of the sandwich, and it needs to deliver. Fried to perfection, these balls aren't too greasy, too charred, or 'fast foody' tasting - they taste fresh and hearty. The Oasis dudes let the chickpeas and spices do the work, deep frying the falafel just enough to create a perfect crunchy outer shell without overdoing it.
Top with fresh shredded lettuce, pickles, seasoned onion, and fresh pink cabbage. This step brings three essential elements into the sandwich for me:

1: Color
I've heard this saying before, and I tend to subscribe to this thinking when I cook or eat out... If all the major colors are represented in a meal, one walks away feeling more nutritionally and mentally satisfied. By this stage, the falafel is bursting with pinks, reds, greens, whites, browns, tans, yellows. It looks beautiful.

2: Crunch
The way the crunchy pickle, cabbage, onion, and lettuce compliment the meaty falafel, creamy hummus, and pita... Well, it's just genius.

3: Freshness
"You mean, this hearty sandwich will kick a hangover's ass AND it's healthy and fresh too??"
Yes. Yes. Yes.
Top off the sandwich with homemade tahini sauce and hot sauce. The Oasis tahini sauce is stuff of the gods. I would bath in it. Daily. If I had a bathtub. I would not bath in the hot sauce, because I would fear burning orifices, but I am a huge fan of it as well.

The juices drip all over creation as I devour this sandwich. Usually about midway through, the pita begins to split at the seams, oozing tons of hummus and tahini from the bottom and sides. I slurp it up from every angle, so I don't lose too much to the counter below. Before I know it, I've destroyed this sandwich. I am in heaven. My garlic breath can be smelt from outside on the street. And I'll likely be back in a day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment